Cheers to That! Building Your Referral Machine With Vendors
Creating A Buzz
It probably happens in your office from time to time. For every colleague birthday or anniversary that occurs throughout the year, special deliveries trickle into office from friends or loved ones. These usually take the form of flower bouquets, balloons, delicious cakes or other related items. Regardless of what it is, these office deliveries create a buzz amongst co-workers.
I knew that the workplace was ripe with referral opportunities, but I was looking for an idea that made my brand a conversation piece for people while they were in their work environment.
I was struck with a brilliant idea when my lender, Evangeline, stopped by my office on Cinco de Mayo. Evangeline and I had been building our rapport for about a year, and on this occasion we were casually having a shot of tequila to be festive. The tequila shot brought up many topics, but it really got us talking on how we personally connected with clients.
Evangeline and I started discussing our respective action items and I told her specifically about my “All About You” form. She mentioned that she gave all of her clients mini bottles of champagne when they received a loan approval. It was that moment when the lightbulb went on and I proposed the following:
- I would make Evangeline my preferred lender, i.e., I would refer her to all of my buyers.
- We would level up on her champagne idea by giving bigger bottles, and accompany them with balloons and a personalized card.
- In exchange for her paying for the champagne, etc., my field runner would deliver the items to the client’s office.
Delivering this little congrats package to our client’s office created a cascade effect. Here’s what happened:
- The balloons, champagne, and card drew attention. The receptionist would ask who/what they were for, and once delivered to the client’s desk, it created a buzz of curious co-workers.
- It started a real estate discussion among our client and his/her colleagues during the buying process, which is the best time to get referrals.
- It created word-of-mouth exposure to people who might have otherwise not known about us.
- The gesture “WOWed” our clients, deepening our relationship and their loyalty.
Get Referrals For Free
All in all, this simple action item didn’t cost me a single cent. Evangeline had already budgeted for the champaign and whatnot, and I was already paying my runner to be on my staff. It was, essentially, free exposure. And if you don’t have a runner, you can deliver these items yourself and (and get a front row seat to see the magic unfold)!
There is no reason not to put this action item into play for yourself. It’s easy, it costs virtually no money for you, and it produces tons of referrals. If you haven’t done so already, share this video with your lender and start poppin’ bottles!
Disclaimer: Some state and local laws prohibit activities that are permissible under RESPA. Please check with your local associations to confirm rules & regulations in your area about gifting to clients.
I grew my business strictly by referrals. I had a system in place called Ty’s 35, designed to wow every single client I had. I’m going to share my system with you, week by week, so you too can start working by referral. No more door knocking, no more cold calling, no billboards, and no advertising.